{{ 'Go back' | translate}}
Njus logo

Garden news | Njus Australia

North Coast cut off by great seas of flood water

Garden Australia News Today


'The countryside on the North Coast was flooded from Kempsey to Lismore, a distance of about 200 miles, Flight Superintendent D.H, Swain, of the “Herald” Flying Service, said yesterday.He had just returned from a flight to Lismore delivering the “Herald” to floodbound towns.The Macleay River wends its way through floodwaters in the Kempsey district.June 29, 1950.INLAND SEAS “The northern rivers have overflowed into colossal sheets of water, like a series of big inland seas,” he said. “The flooding is on a much wider scale than I have ever seen before.” Road, rail and telephone communications through the North Coast are disrupted.There have been power failures in many towns.FOOD LIFT Main street of Lismore flooded, Sunday afternoon, June 25, 1950 Credit: Staff Planes will parachute food to some areas to-day.Cattle and canefield losses have been heavy.Thousands of people are homeless at Grafton and South Grafton, which is experiencing as bad a flood as its worst in 1948.At 1 a.m. to-day the Grafton telephone exchange reported that the business centres of Grafton and South Grafton were under water.The Macleay River, which flooded Kempsey early yesterday, continued to rise throughout the day and had reached record flood level last night.About 500 families are now evacuated from their homes and more are leaving.Water is flooding the main street of the town and is over the counters in some shops.Around Coffs Harbour yesterday were scenes of destruction unparalleled in the town’s history, caused by the cyclonic storm which brought 10 inches of rain in the 24 hours to 9 a.m.The wind at times had reached 90 miles an hour.On the beach in the harbour the freighter Bangalow was lying broadside on in the breakers.Wreckage of nine fishing launches littered the beach.The Bangalow went ashore soon after midnight.She had entered the harbour earlier to shelter from the storm.The captain and crew are still on board and safe.Police last night said the town was experiencing the biggest flood it had known.Hundreds of people had had to evacuate their homes, and a number of buildings had been blown down.VOTERS WADED Heavy rain renewed the flood danger in Maitland yesterday, forcing many more families to flee their homes.More than 3,000 people are now living in public halls and staying with friends in the town.Water yesterday was a foot deep across a part of High Street, Maitland’s main street.Voters waded through the water to get to the booths at the Town Hall for the post-poned poll in the Maitland electorate.One girl made the journey in a swimming costume.Polling was abandoned an hour early.Unofficial Government sources later last night said the State would probably make a grant of £10,000 and the Commonwealth a similar grant, as latest flood relief in New South Wales.The Weather Bureau last night warned that serious flood conditions will continue on all coastal rivers from the Hunter northwards.Rises are also forecast in the Nepean, Namoi and Gwydir rivers.Most Viewed in Environment Loading Source link Environment . The post North Coast cut off by great seas of flood water appeared first on Australia News Today .'

Researchers Discover Giant Freshwater Aquifer Off US East Coast

Garden Gizmodo Australia

In a welcome bit of news as water shortages hit major cities worldwide, scientists have discovered an enormous low-salinity aquifer off the US East Coast. The researchers say it could indicate other such aquifers trapped beneath the salty seas in
'In a welcome bit of news as water shortages hit major cities worldwide, scientists have discovered an enormous low-salinity aquifer off the US East Coast. The researchers say it could indicate other such aquifers trapped beneath the salty seas in ocean sediments across the planet.\t\t\t\t\t More »'

Why Chennai, India's Sixth Biggest City, Has Run Out Of Water

Garden Gizmodo Australia

In what’s becoming an increasingly common story, a major city has run out of water. Chennai, India is home to 4.65 million and a severe deficit of water to serve their needs. More »
'In what’s becoming an increasingly common story, a major city has run out of water. Chennai, India is home to 4.65 million and a severe deficit of water to serve their needs.\t\t\t\t\t More »'

Water mystery as Darlington cost blows out

Garden The Advertiser

Pooling water means South Australians are still no closer to finding out how the collapsing Darlington Motorway will be fixed or when they can start driving on it, a parliamentary inquiry has heard.
'An inquiry into the collapse of two sections of the Darlington Motorway’s revetment wall heard contractor Gateway South is still investigating how water continues to pool in a nearby trench. A third, smaller collapse in the cement wall was spotted last week. Gateway South project director Greg Cook said two metres of standing water had been found in a trench behind where the motorway walls had collapsed, with the source of the water still yet to be identified. A fight over who is financially responsible for the collapse is set to head into the courts, with both the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure and Gateway South strident that each other is to blame. That will not occur until the project has been fixed and completed, and a regular variations process has occurred, with both parties telling the committee their focus was on fixing the motorway. No completion timeline given to the committee accounted for the wall collapse, meaning a date for when drivers can use the motorway is still unknown. DPTI chief executive Tony Braxton-Smith said the total cost of the Darlington Upgrade project had blown out by $47 million, rising to $667 million, because of a change in the project’s scope, unrelated to the motorway collapse. Infrastructure Minister Stephan Knoll said that increase was because the former Labor government had extended the project to Tonsley and the Ayliffes Road bridge without budgeting extra money for it. That meant the contingency set aside for the project was not sufficient to deal with project complications, Mr Knoll said. “The former government soaked up that contingency by changing the scope, that creates pressure on a project … what it is, is irresponsible financial management,” he said. Independent contractor Aurecon, the company tasked with providing a report on the collapse, told the committee “special precautions” should have been taken when a 2018 excavation process found hindmarsh clay in the area where the revetment wall collapsed. Labor infrastructure spokesman Tom Koutsantonis seized on the evidence, saying a retaining wall should have been built instead of a revetment wall. “Why the minister and the Government proceeded with that type of construction, why they didn’t notice it or why even the contractor didn’t notice it and didn’t change it is beyond, I think, belief. There are calls for a complete safety audit into the Darlington motorway upgrade after a section of the side collapsed. CREDIT: 9 News “The Government has a lot of explaining to do.” Mr Knoll said the soil was not raised with him as an issue and defended the decision to proceed with the revetment wall, saying the collapse was caused by a range of issues not identified during the design process . “Revetment walls are a common tool that are used across most major projects across Adelaide, the Torrens to Torrens project, the Goodwood rail junction project, the Oaklands Crossing project all use this same treatment and it works,” Mr Knoll said. “What we’ve got in this instance is a specific issue in relation to water ingress and a number of other factors around latent piping, as well as issues with a relocated SA Water mains trench that have created a specific set of circumstances in this instance.” All evidence to the committee was heard in public, after a request for it to be held behind closed doors was rejected by the Public Works Committee.'