{{ 'Go back' | translate}}
Njus logo

News from Madrid

Maurizio Sarri blames Eden Hazard for defensive problems at Chelsea

Football Essentially Sports

Italian champions Juventus unveiled their new head coach Maurizio Sarri on Thursday morning following last week’s announcement of a three-year contract with the former Chelsea boss.The Blues also agreed to a compensation package in excess of £5m.
'Italian champions Juventus unveiled their new head coach Maurizio Sarri on Thursday morning following last week’s announcement of a three-year contract with the former Chelsea boss . The Blues also agreed to a compensation package in excess of £5m.Sarri was not well-received by many sections of Chelsea fans as they criticized his style of play throughout last season.However, the 60-year old manager did have a promising year in-charge at Stamford Bridge leading Chelsea to a Europa League title, a third-place Premier League finish and also a Carabao Cup final.Sarri takes in his new home #WelcomeSarri pic.twitter.com/8mIj9Dso20 — JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) June 20, 2019 The former Napoli boss, after touring the Allianz Stadium, was presented to the media where he reviewed his time in England and expressed his feelings about the latest job in-hand.He interestingly claimed that the English media strengthened him with their constant “attacks”.   “The world of the English media is well known to everybody, there are great newspapers and also some tabloids.This is something which certainly strengthens you a lot,” Maurizio Sarri said. “What I was a little disappointed with was the fact that here in Italy, what the tabloids wrote was mainly reported compared to the articles of the other newspapers.But of course then all of the criticism and the attacks, the pressure that you have to undergo will somehow strengthen you”, he added.Maurizio Sarri revealed that his time at Chelsea was a testing one and that he decided to move back to Italy during the second half of the season. “The Premier League was a great experience, but in the latter half [of the season], I felt professional and personal needs to return to Italy”, he said.Eden Hazard scored two goals in the Europa League final which landed Maurizio Sarri’s first trophy as manager.The manager also aimed a fascinating dig about departed Chelsea winger Eden Hazard who has joined Real Madrid. “We had to accommodate Hazard’s characteristics, as he could change the game, but also his presence caused issues in defending that we had to work on,” he admitted.Maurizio Sarri was enthralled at the prospect of working with Cristiano Ronaldo and stated that “training him would be another step forward” in his managerial career.However, having coached Napoli before his brief stint in London, the Italian will need to warm up to the Juventus faithful.Maurizio Sarri visited the Allianz Stadium in Turin before his first press conference. “I arrive with skepticism just as I did with all my other clubs,” he said. “I understand that, but I know only one way to change that and that is to win and convince while entertaining and getting results.” RECAP⎮ Sarri: “The crowning achievement of my career” https://t.co/kAnJ95zKLy #WelcomeSarri pic.twitter.com/ANNcpnpohF — JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) June 20, 2019 . The post Maurizio Sarri blames Eden Hazard for defensive problems at Chelsea appeared first on Essentially Sports .'

Transfer News: Manchester City to pay €70m for Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodri

Football Essentially Sports

Premier League champions Manchester City are set to sign Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodri in a €70m deal as their long-term successor for club veteran Fernandinho.
'Premier League champions Manchester City are set to sign Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodri in a €70m deal as their long-term successor for club veteran Fernandinho.The Blues have been quiet in the early parts of this summer transfer window following a historic domestic treble-winning season which saw them lift the Premier League, the FA Cup and the League Cup.The club’s tussle with UEFA over a potential Financial Fair Play breach has kept the owners and management distracted from transfer business.However, Manchester City’s relentless scouting for Fernandinho ’s successor in defensive midfield has finally paid off as Rodri’s transfer to the Etihad Stadium looks imminent.Sky Sports Italia and reliable Guardian journalist Fabrizio Romano have reported that City have confirmed they will pay the Spaniard’s release clause in the coming days.Manchester City veteran midfielder Fernandinho is entering the last phase of his career.The 22-year old will become Pep Guardiola ’s first signing of this summer as he looks to bolster his squad to challenge for the Champions League next season.Consequentially, the signing will break the club’s transfer record held by last summer’s arrival of Riyad Mahrez from Leicester.Rodri joined Atletico Madrid last summer in a £20m move from Villarreal, quickly becoming an integral part of Diego Simeone’s side.And his increased value only indicates his potential to become a world-class player in the coming years.The midfielder has been likened to Barcelona’s Sergio Busquets and is touted to be the long-term replacement for the 30-year old in the Spanish national team.Mikel Arteta has likened Manchester City transfer target Rodri to Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets. “Rodri closely resembles what Busquets is”, Manchester City assistant coach Mikel Arteta said recently. “Few people read the game alone.Those who anticipate scenarios, who are mentally stable and who can be a coach in the field — like Xabi Alonso or Xavi Hernandez.” German champions Bayern Munich have also shown great interest in Rodri but Manchester City are favourites to land him because of the player’s will to be coached by Pep Guardiola.An official announcement from the club could be delayed till June 30th as City are also transitioning from Nike to their new £650-million sponsor Puma. . The post Transfer News: Manchester City to pay €70m for Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodri appeared first on Essentially Sports .'

Atletico Madrid beat Manchester United and Manchester City to rope in Joao Felix

Football Essentially Sports

Portuguese wonderkid Joao Felix has rejected interest from English Premier League heavyweights Manchester United and Manchester City ahead of a €120m move to Spanish giants Atletico Madrid, according to Marca.
'Portuguese wonderkid Joao Felix has rejected interest from English Premier League heavyweights Manchester United and Manchester City ahead of a €120m move to Spanish giants Atletico Madrid, according to Marca .   The Benfica attacker is currently in Madrid, as per Portuguese newspaper Record , to sign a club-record deal with Diego Simeone’s side worth €6 million-a-year, who have potentially landed the replacement for their departed star-man Antoine Griezmann . The Frenchman announced his plans to leave Wanda Metropolitano having been linked with Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain.   19-year old Joao Felix has become this summer transfer window’s hottest property after his breakthrough season in the Portuguese top-flight.The forward gained significant attention after he became the youngest individual to score a hat-trick in the UEFA Europa League against Eintracht Frankfurt.Joao Felix was last seen in action in the UEFA Nations League triumph with Portugal.Felix also lifted the UEFA Nations League trophy alongside Cristiano Ronaldo and is destined to be an incredible player in the coming years.Pep Guardiola and Manchester City were very keen on bringing the teenager to the Etihad Stadium following the rumours regarding Leroy Sane’s transfer to Bayern Munich.However, the domestic treble-winning manager only has restricted funds to strengthen in midfield and defensive positions this summer.Manchester United’s summer revamp is in desperate need of a superstar signing after their miserable last season both domestically and in Europe.Joao Felix would be a terrific signing for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, however, the Portuguese is determined to play Champions League football next season and would hence become the new poster boy at Atletico Madrid.Joao Felix became the youngest player ever to score a hat-trick in the UEFA Europa League last season.Felix’s club Benfica, however, have dismissed any news of an agreement between Joao Felix and Atletico on their website regarding it as “false” despite him being in the Spanish capital.The youngster could also reportedly be bought this summer and loaned back to the Primeira Liga side for a year to ward off interest from other clubs and give the player more time to grow.   . The post Atletico Madrid beat Manchester United and Manchester City to rope in Joao Felix appeared first on Essentially Sports .'

Paris Saint-Germain President Drops Neymar Transfer Bombshell

Football Essentially Sports

Paris Saint-Germain’s superstar striker Neymar could be on his way out of the Parc des Princes this summer following the comments made by club chairman and CEO Nasser Al-Khelaifi.
'Paris Saint-Germain’s superstar striker Neymar could be on his way out of the Parc des Princes this summer following the comments made by club chairman and CEO Nasser Al-Khelaifi.The Qatari president warned his players over selling them if they continued with their “superstar behaviour”. “ The players are going to have to assume their responsibilities.It has to be completely different.They are not here to have fun.And if they don’t agree with this point of view, the doors are open.Ciao.I no longer want superstar behaviour ”, he said.Though Al-Khelaifi did not mention specific names, it was evident that he was referring to the high-profile likes of Neymar.The forward got into trouble with the Paris Saint-Germain board on several occasions throughout last season.The Brazilian, in March, used obscene language at the match officials in their Champions League defeat to Manchester United which handed him a three-match ban.Neymar also had a physical altercation with a supporter after the French Cup final and was recently stripped off Brazil’s captaincy, before picking an injury which has forced him to miss the Copa America being played on his home soil.PSG president Nasser Al Khelaifi has wanted his players against “celebrity behaviour”. The 26-year old has also reportedly grown frustrated with Paris Saint-Germain’s lack of European success and wants to leave the Ligue 1 champions, with the club looking for potential suitors in the market.According to L’Equipe , PSG will be happy to accept a ‘large offer’ for Neymar.However, his massive transfer fee can only be afforded by certain top European clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United.Neymar has constantly been linked with a move to the Santiago Bernabeu ever since his arrival in Paris for a record-breaking £198million in 2017.The Spanish giants are undergoing a summer rebuild under Zinedine Zidane having already secured the likes of Luka Jovic, Eden Hazard and Ferland Mendy, and would pounce upon any chance to sign the Brazilian.Neymar scored 105 goals in 186 appearances for Barcelona.A sensational return to Barcelona could also be on the cards for Neymar.Pini Zahavi, his agent, has already begun talks with the La Liga champions and Neymar’s strong friendships with former teammates Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez could be key in landing him back to the Camp Nou.However, the forward’s wage bill could be a huge problem for Barcelona.Neymar is currently out of action for a while following his ankle ligament injury suffered in an international friendly against Qatar. . The post Paris Saint-Germain President Drops Neymar Transfer Bombshell appeared first on Essentially Sports .'

SHOCKING: Cristiano Ronaldo Served Court Papers in Rape Lawsuit

Sports Essentially Sports

Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo is in hot water after he was slapped with a rape charge a while ago.Now, the Portuguese talisman was handed court papers related to the rape lawsuit in the United States.For the uninitiated, Kathryn Mayorga accused
'Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo is in hot water after he was slapped with a rape charge a while ago.Now, the Portuguese talisman was handed court papers related to the rape lawsuit in the United States.For the uninitiated, Kathryn Mayorga accused Cristiano Ronaldo of raping her.She claimed that the Portuguese superstar assaulted her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.The 34-year old former Manchester United and Real Madrid player, vehemently denied the allegations against him.Cristiano Ronaldo has insisted that their encounter was purely consensual.However, the legal process has hit a snag, owing to the “federal court’s rules on serving foreigners”. Over here, an identical state-level case would need to be dropped, according to Mayorga’s attorney.Cristiano Ronaldo A Nevada federal court later filed a motion saying, “the parties have agreed to deem Defendant effectively served,”. In other words, Cristiano Ronaldo has received the court documents in the case, thus allowing it to proceed undisturbed.Mayorga, a former model levelled the accusations against Ronaldo back in 2018 and has since pursued the case.As it turned out, she had agreed to a financial settlement with the Portuguese superstar after the alleged incident.However, she claimed that her “emotional trauma at the time” prevented her from participating in the mediation process.Also, Mayorga’s attorney revealed that the model agreed to an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo.The idea was to maintain her privacy, but the viral #MeToo movement inspired her to speak out.Ronaldo’s lawyers countered, saying that the non-disclosure agreement was “by no means a confession of guilt”. When she levelled fresh accusations, the Las Vegas police reopened an investigation in 2019.Cristiano Ronaldo is regarded as one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game.The man has clinched the Champions League title five times – once with Manchester United and four times with Real Madrid.On an international level, he led Portugal to the Euro 2016 title in France. . The post SHOCKING: Cristiano Ronaldo Served Court Papers in Rape Lawsuit appeared first on Essentially Sports .'

FC Tokyo Release Statement on Takefusa Kubo’s Real Madrid Transfer Saga

Football Essentially Sports

Earlier, there was confirmation that La Liga giants Real Madrid had signed Japanese wonder kid, Takefusa Kubo from Tokyo FC.The irony was that Kubo was a product from FC Barcelona and joined Tokyo FC after 4 years with the Spanish side.
'Earlier, there was confirmation that La Liga giants Real Madrid had signed Japanese wonder kid, Takefusa Kubo from Tokyo FC.The irony was that Kubo was a product from FC Barcelona and joined Tokyo FC after 4 years with the Spanish side.Their plan was to allow the Japanese youngster to mature and then recall him when the time was right.Unfortunately, it looked like they waited a little too long and rivals, Real Madrid swooped in for the kill.Further rubbing salt in their wounds, is the fact that they have a transfer ban imposed on them.In light of Kubo’s transfer to Real Madrid, Tokyo FC released a statement. “Thank you very much for your continued support.” “First of all, I would like to apologize to the fans and supporters regarding the fact that this media release announcement was preceded by some media, and that it was the timing before the official game.” “Kubo Kenei has recently decided to make a complete transfer to Real Madrid.As a club, I had a strong feeling that I would like you to fight in order to raise petri in Tokyo together, but it turned out like this.” Kubo’s growth, as you can see from this season’s play so far, has become a representative of Japan and a player with great potential.As a club, we hope to grow more than ever, and to lead the Japanese soccer world by becoming a leading player in the world.Thank you for your continued support to Kubo.Takefusa Kubo Kubo joined the FC Tokyo U-15 team from FC Barcelona back in May 2015.The youngster viewed FC Tokyo as a stepping stone to his growth as a professional football player.It is also worth noting that ever since he joined the club, Takefusa Kubo expressed a desire to play abroad.When he turned 18 two weeks ago, FC Tokyo made an offer, along with several other clubs.Looking at the team situation of FC Tokyo, Kubo still wanted to remain with the team.However, in the end they made the decision to select the world’s best club, Real Madrid.The statement concluded, “ The season still continues.Our goal for ‘a strong and loved team’ does not change.The team will be united in the team including players and staff under the direction of winning the title, sharing joy with the fans and supporters, and thinking ‘this year is the future’.” Finally, I would like to make an opportunity to greet fans and supporters more than Kubo players, but it will be reported as soon as it is decided because it depends on Kubo’s schedule in the future.” . The post FC Tokyo Release Statement on Takefusa Kubo’s Real Madrid Transfer Saga appeared first on Essentially Sports .'

Copa America: Arturo Vidal says defending champions Chile are the team to be feared

Football Scroll

Barcelona’s Vidal is convinced the remnants of Chile’s golden generation still have much to offer in this tournament.
'Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal on Saturday vowed to strike fear into Japan when the two sides meet in their Copa America opener on Monday. The two-time reigning champions are not among the favourites this time around having lost some of the players who took them to the 2014 World Cup and back-to-back Copa titles in 2015 and 2016. But Barcelona’s Vidal is convinced the remnants of Chile’s golden generation still have much to offer in this tournament. “This squad should be feared, from the beginning to the final. We hope it’s going to be something amazing, but we’re going to take it game by game,” he told reporters from Chile’s hotel in Sao Paulo, where they will play tournament guests Japan. Read - Copa America: Alexis Sanchez hopes to dismiss Manchester United woes as Chile begin title defense The Blue Samurai have brought an inexperienced squad to Brazil with an average age of just 22. When it was announced last month, 17 of the squad had yet to earn a cap. One of those, 18-year-old Takefusa Kubo, has since then not only made his debut but also signed for Real Madrid. “He’s a player with a lot of quality, there’s a reason he’s at Real Madrid,” said Vidal. “We’ve seen him, analyzed him really well and we.. Read more'