{{ 'Go back' | translate}}
Njus logo

Law and Order news | Njus USA

Kingston councillor facing charges apologies ‘to anyone who was upset by my actions’

Law and Order USA New Updates

Sydenham Coun. Peter Stroud is expected to appear in court again in August. Elliot Ferguson / Postmedia A Kingston city councillor facing criminal charges issued a statement Tuesday after days of silence.Coun. Peter Stroud of Sydenham District was
'Sydenham Coun. Peter Stroud is expected to appear in court again in August.\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\tElliot Ferguson / Postmedia\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\tA Kingston city councillor facing criminal charges issued a statement Tuesday after days of silence.Coun. Peter Stroud of Sydenham District was charged by Kingston Police with causing a disturbance and obstructing property under $5,000 following an incident on June 23. The charges have not been proven in court. Stroud’s first appearance is scheduled for Aug. 15.When the Kingston Whig-Standard reported the story last Friday, Stroud asked not to be contacted again until the matter was settled in court, but on Tuesday he posted a statement on Twitter.“I did not intend to upset anyone, and I sincerely apologize to anyone who was upset by my actions,” Stroud wrote. “My intention was to gain access for my eldest child, who was refused service while arrived to an express bus stop before the scheduled departure.”Kingston Police alleged in a news release that a man chased after the bus, then placed his child on the roadway in front of the bus, blocked the bus with his bike and started yelling and talking photos of the driver.According to the police, the incident was reported to them on June 24, and Stroud was asked to come in and speak to them the same day. They allege that Stroud initially refused and didn’t turn himself in until July 11.Stroud wrote a different version of events on Twitter.“I turned myself into the police station at their suggestion, was fully co-operative, and was released immediately after being charged,” Stroud said. “I will be facing the charges on the court date with the help of legal counsel.“I cannot comment further at this time (sic) as the case is before the courts (sic) I ask the press not to contact me about this personal matter, but respect my privacy at this time.”scrosier@postmedia.comtwitter.com/StephattheWhig\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t Edit'

Man Arrested in Connection With Armed Santa Ana Robberies; 1 Remains at Large

Law and Order KTLA

A man who was already in custody for an unrelated crime was arrested in connection with two armed robberies that occurred on July 4, while another man remains at large, officials announced Tuesday. Brain Ho, 28, of Garden Grove was identified as
'A man who was already in custody for an unrelated crime was arrested in connection with two armed robberies that occurred on July 4, while another man remains at large, officials announced Tuesday. Brian Ho is shown in a photo released by Santa Ana Police Department on July 16, 2019. Brain Ho, 28, of Garden Grove was identified as being involved in both robberies and Santa Ana detectives discovered he had already been arrested on July 9. He was found in possession of a gun “similar” to the one used in the robberies, police said. Detectives are working with police in Garden Grove and Westminster on cases believed to have also been committed by Ho during the same time period. The incidents occurred at the M & Toi Café and Dey’s Doughnuts on the morning of July 4. In both incidents, Ho allegedly pointed a weapon at the victims and demanded money. The man who remains at large acted as the lookout during the robberies. That person is described as being between 20 and 30 years old, about 5 feet six inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing about 180 pounds. He was last seen wearing a black hoodie sweatshirt and dark sunglasses. He was also armed with a black handgun. Anyone with information about the crimes can contact Santa Ana Police Detective Duane Greaver at 714-245-8362, dgreaver@santa-ana.org or Orange County Crime Stoppers at 1-855-TIP-OCCS. Santa Ana police shared video of a robbery that occurred at a cafe on July 4, 2019.'

Trump’s new asylum rules go into effect, and opponents sue

Law and Order The Columbian

TIJUANA, Mexico — Hundreds of immigrants showed up at border crossings Tuesday in hopes of getting into the U.S. but faced the likelihood of being turned away under a new Trump administration asylum rule that upends long-standing protections for
'TIJUANA, Mexico — Hundreds of immigrants showed up at border crossings Tuesday in hopes of getting into the U.S. but faced the likelihood of being turned away under a new Trump administration asylum rule that upends long-standing protections for people fleeing violence and oppression in their homelands. The policy went into effect Tuesday but drew a swift lawsuit from the American Civil Liberties Union and other groups. “This is the Trump administration’s most extreme run at an asylum ban yet,” ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt said. “It clearly violates domestic and international law and cannot stand.” The policy represents the most forceful attempt to date by President Donald Trump to slash the number of people seeking asylum in America. It comes at a time when Trump’s recent tweets telling four members of Congress to “go back” to other countries have set off an uproar. Trump did not mention the new practices Tuesday during a White House meeting. Under the rules, migrants who pass through another country on their way to the U.S. will be ineligible for asylum. Most of the immigrants arriving at the border this year pass through Mexico — including Central Americans, Africans, Cubans and Haitians. That makes it all but impossible for them to get asylum. The rule also applies to children who have crossed the border alone. At the crossing in Tijuana, 12 people whose numbers were first on a waiting list to enter through a San Diego border crossing were escorted behind a metal gate to a white van that left minutes later to turn them over to U.S. authorities. Ndifor Gedeon, 27, arrived in Tijuana nearly three months ago with the hope of seeking asylum in the U.S. after being jailed in Cameroon by a government that has been going after the African nation’s English-speaking minority. He was rethinking those plans after hearing that he may not have a chance at getting asylum because of the new policy and if his case is denied he will be deported straight back to Cameroon. “I feel sick,” he said of the anxiety consuming him. “If I am sent back to Cameroon, I’d lose my life. The situation is very horrible.” He speaks no Spanish and does not feel safe in Tijuana, which has one of the highest homicide rates in Mexico. Even so, he prefers Tijuana to returning to Cameroon. Trump has long complained that immigrants are taking advantage of the nation’s asylum system to get into the country, and his administration has taken several steps to limit their options. Many of the measures have been rejected by the courts, but one notable exception is a policy that requires certain asylum seekers to wait in Mexico while their immigration court cases get resolved. About 20,000 have been sent back to Mexico, and thousands more are on wait lists just to get to the front of the line to get an asylum interview. Asylum seekers must also pass an initial screening called a “credible fear” interview, a hurdle that a vast majority clear. Under the new policy, they would fail the test unless they sought asylum in at least one country they traveled through and were denied. They would be placed in fast-track deportation proceedings and flown to their home countries at U.S. expense. Despite the policies, record numbers of immigrant families have been crossing the border this year, overwhelming border facilities and authorities. Five immigrant children have died since late last year after being detained by the government, and children have been found in squalid and overcrowded border facilities. The crisis has only served to intensify immigration as a campaign issue as Trump looks to rally his base like he did in 2016 with his vow to build a wall on the border. At a crossing in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, 10 Cuban asylum seekers were called by Mexican officials and led across the Paso Del Norte Bridge to El Paso, where they were handed over to Customs and Border Protection officers. They were taken to a room where their possessions were searched, laid out on a table and bagged. The immigrants will still go through the normal first steps of requesting asylum, but will face a dramatically higher bar to be allowed in the country. Lawyers who represent Cuban migrants say that they are not deportable because Cuba will not accept them. “I’d rather be in prison the rest of my life than go back to Cuba,” said Dileber Urrista Sanchez, who had hoped his number would be called Tuesday, but he was further down the list. Sanchez, 35, has waited with his wife in Juarez for the past two months, renting a room with money his mother sends him from Las Vegas. He said his mother left Cuba years ago because she was part of an opposition party. In retaliation, he said, the government took away his job as a chauffeur, and he and his wife had been imprisoned for days at a time for being “untrustworthy.” He criticized the Trump administration’s new policy, pointing out that the first country he was able to reach after leaving Cuba was Nicaragua. “How are we going to apply for asylum in Nicaragua when it’s just as communist?” he said. Derek Mbi of Cameroon was among nearly 50 migrants who gathered in Tijuana. He arrived there about a month ago, and more than 8,100 people were ahead of him on the waiting list. Processing new arrivals has ground to a virtual halt in recent days, down from an average of about 40 names a day. Mbi, 29, joined a wave of Cameroonians who fled fierce government oppression against their country’s English-speaking minority by flying to Ecuador, which does not require a visa. From there, he traveled for months by bus and on foot through seven other countries to reach Tijuana. Mbi learned about the new policy but mistakenly believed that it applied only to Central and South Americans. He hopes to settle with a friend in Texas. For now, he is sharing a one-bedroom apartment with 13 Cameroonians in Tijuana and scraping by with odd jobs, like peeling tomatoes at open-air markets. He said many companies refused to hire him because his short-term transit permit in Mexico does not allow him to work.'

Sailors Kidnapped by Pirates Off the Coast of Nigeria

Law and Order News Breaking

At least ten Turkish sailors have reportedly been kidnapped by pirates off the coast of Nigeria.The ship, managed by the company Kadioglu Denizcilik, was raided by “pirates” who disrupted the vessel’s electric system and abducted ten of the more
'At least ten Turkish sailors have reportedly been kidnapped by pirates off the coast of Nigeria.The ship, managed by the company Kadioglu Denizcilik, was raided by “pirates” who disrupted the vessel’s electric system and abducted ten of the more senior crew members, including the first captain.The remaining eight crew-members managed to escaped with the ship and dock in Ghana.Ghana’s military reportedly helped guide the ship in once it entered their territorial waters.The company has reportedly not yet been contacted by the pirates for a possible ransom.Source: Turkish sailors kidnapped by pirates off Nigeria’s coast – CNN . The post Sailors Kidnapped by Pirates Off the Coast of Nigeria appeared first on News Breaking .'

WNBA suspends Sparks’ Riquna Williams 10 games after investigating domestic violence allegations

Law and Order Daily Breeze

The L.A. guard is set to miss nearly a third of the regular season due to a pair of felony charges stemming from an incident involving her ex-girlfriend.
'The WNBA suspended Sparks guard Riquna Williams without pay for 10 games as a result of a domestic violence incident , the league announced Tuesday afternoon. The announcement came the day before Cathy Engelbert is set to begin her tenure as the league’s first commissioner and three days after the wife of Seattle Storm star Natasha Howard made allegations of domestic violence Saturday on Twitter. According to court documents, the Sparks’ Williams was arrested and booked into the Palm Beach County Jail on April 29, charged with two felony counts stemming from an event that occurred in December. The charges involve the assault of an individual with whom she was in a relationship and threatening of another person with a firearm. She has pleaded not guilty. An All-Star in 2015, the 29-year-old Williams was an unrestricted free agent at the time of her arrest, but the Sparks re-signed her despite her pending legal issues on May 15, prior to the start of the season. In a statement then, the team said it was “aware of the allegations,” and that it was “monitoring the situation and we’ll have no comment until the legal process is completed.” As the season and the criminal case moved forward, the WNBA conducted its own internal investigation, including interviewing Williams and several witnesses and consulting with a panel of experts in the field of domestic violence, the league said in a statement. “Based on the investigation, consultation, and a careful weighing of all the facts and circumstances, the WNBA determined that a 10-game suspension was appropriate,” read the statement. “Among other factors, the WNBA took into account the nature and seriousness of the conduct at issue, including the involvement of a firearm. The WNBA will also require Williams to participate in counseling.” The WNBA regular season is 34 games long. The Sparks also released a statement Tuesday, which read in part: “The Sparks have cooperated fully with the league’s investigation. As an organization, we abhor violence of any kind and specifically take domestic violence allegations very seriously. We will provide whatever resources we are allowed to help Riquna learn and grow from this unfortunate situation.” The following was released by the #WNBA today: https://t.co/t8tiMio41M — WNBA (@WNBA) July 16, 2019 Williams allegedly forced her way inside the home of her ex-girlfriend, Alkeria Davis, striking her in the head and pulling her hair before two others broke up the fight. After they were separated, Williams allegedly grabbed a firearm from her car and pointed it at one man, saying, “you’ll get all 18” before speeding off. Davis reportedly was treated by paramedics for a small lump on her head. On June 6, Williams’ attorney Daniel Riccardo Paige requested Palm Beach County Court to waive her right to a speedy trial. A trial date won’t be set until discovery is completed, Paige wrote in an email. Her next hearing date is set for Aug. 16. Related Articles \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\tSparks’ Nneka Ogwumike named a WNBA All-Star for the sixth time\t\t \t\t\t \t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\tWilliams hits 5 3s, scores 23 as Sparks beat Dream in OT\t\t \t\t\t \t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\tSparks survive in Indiana, now focus on Atlanta\t\t \t\t\t \t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\tSparks beat Indiana Fever to snap 3-game road losing streak\t\t \t\t\t \t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\tSparks’ Chelsea Gray an All-Star again, Maria Vadeeva out indefintely\t\t \t\t\t \t The 5-foot-6 Florida native was one of only eight active players on the Sparks’ roster on Sunday, when she led them to a 76-71 overtime victory in Atlanta, where she scored 23 points and hit five 3-pointers. In this, her third season with the Sparks, Williams is averaging 11.5 points per game and shooting 40 percent from 3-point range. Since being inserted into the starting lineup six games ago, she has increased her scoring to 16.8 points per game and improved to 43.5 shooting percent from 3-point range. The WNBA has previously punished players for domestic violence, including in 2015, when it suspended Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson for seven games apiece after they were arrested in Arizona on suspicion of assault and disorderly conduct. The two were engaged to one another at the time, when an argument led to the police being called to their home. The charges against Johnson were dropped, as were those against Griner, by virtue of her participating in a pretrial diversion program. In 2003, the WNBA suspended Rhonda Mapp, who also played for the Sparks, for two years for violating its drug policy.'

Trump Officials Face Cover-Up Allegations After Failed Citizenship Question Push

Law and Order NPR

Challengers of the Trump administration's push for a census citizenship question are asking a federal judge in New York to impose penalties for allegedly false or misleading statements by officials.
'Challengers of the Trump administration's push for a census citizenship question are asking a federal judge in New York to impose penalties for allegedly false or misleading statements by officials. (Image credit: Aaron P. Bernstein/Getty Images)'

Florida Man Arrested After Cutting Off Neighbor’s Genitals After Catching Him Sleeping with His Wife

Law and Order News Breaking

A Florida man was arrested after he reportedly cut his neighbor’s penis off for sleeping with his wife.Alex Bonilla, 49, reportedly broke into his neighbor’s home with a gun and threatened to kill him.Two children were inside the home when Bonilla
'A Florida man was arrested after he reportedly cut his neighbor’s penis off for sleeping with his wife.Alex Bonilla, 49, reportedly broke into his neighbor’s home with a gun and threatened to kill him.Two children were inside the home when Bonilla showed up, according to the report.Bonilla then reportedly tied him up and used a pair of scissors to cut off his penis, leaving the home with the man’s genitals.Bonilla had caught the victim and his wife having sex a couple of weeks before the incident, according to police.He now faces charges of aggravated assault, armed battery, and false imprisonment.Source: Florida man catches wife cheating, cuts off lover’s penis with s – NBC2 News . The post Florida Man Arrested After Cutting Off Neighbor’s Genitals After Catching Him Sleeping with His Wife appeared first on News Breaking .'